Friday, August 24, 2007

More retirement thoughts

Ok - I am only 37 but is it ever too soon to think about retirement?

We were eating at the pizza shop tonight and I was telling husband about my retirement thoughts and we came up with a couple more.

  • I want the ability to keep the house at whatever temperature is comfortable to us. That means heat in the winter and air conditioning in the summer (provided we remain where we're at which I highly doubt but no matter where I am - I want comfort). I do not want to have to layer in the winter and succumb to heat stroke in the summer.
  • I want the ability to still buy down comforters and pillows. I am a creature of comfort.
  • As long as chenille robes stay cheap I'm cool.
  • Ideally I'd like to take two trips a year. If we're living in a really cool place, than one trip a year may suffice.
  • Opera. I need to go to the Opera.
  • Good shoes. I have horrible, horrible feet and I need my feet taken care of. They are, afterall, the only feet I'll ever have. I walk on broken bones and while it's under control right now (the pain and inflammation) I need to be really careful that they don't get bad. My feet respond best to Danskos although Naot's and Birk's seem to suffice as well. I will not ever wear old lady shoes. Ever.
  • I will be a good steward of the environment and will continue to support local businesses and those that give a damn about future generations.
  • I hope it's never so bad that I have to shop at Walmart. I'd have to be just above living on the streets for that to happen.
  • I would love to be able to be the one footing the bill when the family all goes out for dinner but it really does depend on the number of offspring my children produce. I will be on a fixed income, you know!
That's all! Oh yeah...we did drop $4 on Powerball tix (up to $300M!) tonight so wish us luck. I'm feeling good about our chances. Short of winning the lottery, we're probably looking at another 30ish years of working and I'm already tired.

On that note...I'd sure make a good lottery winner! Sure I'd spend some of my winnings on some frivolities but I'd be kind and generous (not stupid generous though) and would be a really great employer to my chef, massage therapist, and housekeeper. I'd work in the nursery at the hospital holding babies and would also volunteer at the Crisis Nursery of Minneapolis. I could never *not* work but I'd definitely do something that made a difference.

Man am I a windbag tonight.

No comments: